- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1-3/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-3/4 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave onion on high for 1 minute or until tender; drain. Add the macaroni, cheddar cheese and parsley; set aside.
- In a blender, combine the milk, cottage cheese, mustard, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Stir into macaroni mixture.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Macaroni 'n' Cheese
"My whole family loved this recipe, even my super picky son. Doesn't taste low fat. Out of habit I used ground mustard as I do for a regular cheese sauce and that worked well. Very creamy. Loved the trick with the cottage cheese and the blender and will keep that in mind for other recipes. This is a keeper and you know I didn't expect it."
"I didn't include the onions when I made this recipe, but it was still really good. I've never had a macaroni and cheese like this one before, but this will probably be what I think of the next time I start craving macaroni and cheese. This is definitely going into my recipe book."
"I've been making my own "higher fat/cal" mac 'n' cheese for 30+ years so it was hard to find a lower fat/cal recipe that was comparable. This one does the trick. I do have to admit that I still m iss my higher fat/cal version but will continue to use this one since I really want to cut back on my fat/cal intake."
"This was good but my daughter wouldn't even try it even though she loves mac and cheese. But everyone else liked it!"
"I just had this with my family. Wow! Doesn't taste low fat at all! I made it as written, using 6 oz (1 1/2 cups) dry elbows and it came out delicious! I paired it with pecan crusted chicken also on TOH and canned corn for a truely wonderful comfort food family dinner. Not one complaint! Thanks for a great recipe!"
"I share this with my friends,yummmmm"
"I will make this again, but use less macaroni. It was pretty dry, but the flavor was nice."
"Was very easy to prepare and a great comfort food as stated. I didn't have cottage cheese so I sub. with cream of chicken soup. Was yummy but can't wait to try it with cottage cheese. Thanks for sharing!"
"Really a great simple alternative to "box mac and cheese". I made it with 1% cottage cheese and it was great. Thanks for a wonderful recipe. Linda Faust"
"I've been making this recipe since it was published in the Fall of 2008. It's easy and delicious and it is the ONLY macaroni dish I now make."