Creamy Macaroni 'n' Cheese
"I prepare this cheesy recipe when I'm craving 'comfort food' but trying to eat a little lighter," advises Dawn Royer of Albany, Oregon. "The hint of mustard adds zip to this creamy side dishand it makes a pleasing meatless entree, too."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1-3/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-3/4 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave onion on high for
- 1 minute or until tender; drain. Add the macaroni, cheddar cheese
- and parsley; set aside.
- In a blender, combine the milk, cottage cheese, mustard, salt and
- pepper; cover and process until smooth. Stir into macaroni mixture.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 229 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 491 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.