Creamy Leek Soup with Brie
Bits of Brie add something special to this soup from our home economists. Soup is a satisfying addition to a buffet table. Use a slow cooker to keep it warm.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 5 cups chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 rounds (8 each) Brie cheese, rind removed
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in butter until tender. Add broth; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Strain, reserving broth in pan. Place leeks in a blender with 1/2 cup
- of broth; cover and process until smooth.
- Return to the pan. Stir in 3 cups cream. Combine the flour, salt,
- pepper and remaining cream until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Cut Brie into small pieces; add to soup in batches, stirring until
- most of the cheese is melted. Garnish with chives. Yield: 12
- servings (2-1/2 quarts).