- 5 cups chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 rounds (8 each) Brie cheese, rind removed
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in butter until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Strain, reserving broth in pan. Place leeks in a blender with 1/2 cup of broth; cover and process until smooth.
- Return to the pan. Stir in 3 cups cream. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and remaining cream until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Cut Brie into small pieces; add to soup in batches, stirring until most of the cheese is melted. Garnish with chives. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Leek Soup with Brie
"This soup was a complete waste of time and MONEY. My family is almost always complimentary when I try a new dish and this soup was voted the worst thing I have ever made. It was very hard to watch the leftovers (and there was a lot) wash down the disposal."
"I could not talk at the dinner table because I had to keep spooning this delicious soup into my mouth; this is a keeper."