- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Hot cooked pasta or rice
- Fresh oregano leaves, optional
- Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine salad dressing mix and water; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and soup until blended. Stir in mushrooms. Pour over chicken. Cook 1 hour longer or until chicken is tender. Serve with pasta or rice. Garnish with oregano if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Italian Chicken
"Love this, couldn't be easier! I usually add whatever vegetables I have in the house (towards the end). Today i added a can of peas (drained) and a handful of frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry). I have also used broccoli (I usually boil it for a little bit first). It's always awesome!"
"I must be the oddball judging from the high reviews for this but I followed this to a T, and it was just not good at all. First off, let me say that I could not find any brands of Italian dressing mix that did not contain sugar, and that was the first ingredient listed on the envelope. I looked at the bottled Italian salad dressing and saw all brands also have sugar. For me, the idea of mixing cream of chicken soup with any kind of seasoning mix that contains sugar just did not sound good, but I went against my instincts and decided to follow the recipe as stated with the required envelope of Italian dressing mix thinking maybe the sugar wasn't very noticeable. Bad idea, the sugar was overpowering. I ended up pitching the whole thing and using the breasts for another recipe."
"Delicious, creamy and super easy!!! My three boys loved it as well as my 90 year old grandmother!!"
"Wonderful flavor and very easy to prepare. Will definitely make again."
"Our family really likes this dish. I cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, so the sauce covers every bite. Been making this since it was put in the magazine years ago."
"I did not put this in the crock pot, but I did use the ingredients as listed. First I browned the chicken in oil and then added the Italian dressing mixture and let it cook for about 8 minutes. I added the cream cheese mixture and cooked for another 15 minutes covered on med-low. It was delicious, but it was a little heavy for me. That's the only reason I did not give this one 5 stars."
"I have been making this recipe for years, I just used frozen peas instead of mushrooms...it was wonderful. Thanks for the suggestions...something old is new again. Yum."
"This goes into my "Guest Recipe" folder !! The only changes I made were to use 1/2 (16.oz) bottle of Italian Dressing, 1/2 package of cream cheese and cook for an additional 2 hrs. instead of 1.Microwaving the soup and cream cheese a bit makes it easier to blend.Simply outstanding."