- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in soup and cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in the sour cream, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 13 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Hash Brown Potato Soup
"Easy and Delicious!"
"This is one of my go to soups when I am in a hurry. I dress it up by cooking the onions before adding the potatoes & water. I also like to add a cap-full of liquid smoke to give it a little more depth. When serving I sprinkle some shredded cheese and bacon bits and serve with bread - the whole family loves this one."
"This soup was extremely quick and easy to make. It was a bit bland though, so we all added some "pizza spice" to our bowls and it was yummy!"
"So easy and so good. I given the receipe to others to make. Everyone loves it. Made it just like the receipe states."
"The first time I made this I followed the recipe as printed. I didn't think it had much flavor and was too watery. I made it a second time with a few modifications and it turned out much better. I substituted Potatoes O'Brien for the shredded hash browns. I used 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of milk rather than the 6 cups of water. Omitted the chopped onions. Used 1 can of cream of chicken and 1 can of cream of onion soup. Increased Velveeta to 8 oz."
"so good & easy..everyone I have served it tolikes it and asked for the recipe"
"I forgot to mention that I used 30oz cubed hash browns this time and I liked it a lot better than the shredded hash browns. This recipe is such a large quantity that it overflowed my large 3 quart saucepan. Next time I'll have to use a larger pan. Great quanity for leftovers!"