Creamy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
This versatile side dish was dairy-good with the steaks we grilled and is delicious with other meats as well. A creamy cheese sauce and crunchy topping make this potato casserole ever-popular for family dinners and potlucks. —Carol Troyer, Pryor, Oklahoma and Teresa Stutzman, Adair, Oklahoma
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
- Fresh savory, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, sour cream, soup, 1/2 cup butter and onion. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Combine cornflakes and remaining butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, covered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until heated through. Uncover, bake 10 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. If desired, garnish with savory. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 663 calories, 43 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 1,359 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC