Creamy Ham Penne
Mixing spreadable cheese with whole wheat pasta, broccoli and fat-free milk for a main dish is a healthier use of this convenience product than simply spreading it on crackers. —Barbara Pletzke, Herndon, Virginia
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) reduced-fat garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook penne according to package directions,
- adding broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking; drain. Remove
- and set aside.
- In the same pan, combine milk and spreadable cheese. Cook and stir
- over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Add the
- ham, pepper and penne mixture; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 371 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.