My wife and I are pasta lovers, and after we tried this dish at an Italian restaurant, I thought I could improve on it. I enjoy making pasta sauces, and this is one dish we like to serve to our pasta-loving friends.
Recommended: 40 Quick Dinners for Surprise Guests
- 4 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add Swiss cheese; cook and stir over low heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Add ham and peas; cook 2 minutes longer or until heated through. Drain the fettuccine; top with ham mixture and Parmesan cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Ham Fettuccine in Reminisce March/April 2004, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Ham Fettuccine
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review