Creamy Ham Chowder Recipe
You'll dig into satisfaction when this thick and creamy chowder is on the menu. Loaded with comforting flavor, it's sure to make friedns and family think you labored for hours perfecting it.—Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed and drained
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, cook onion in butter over medium heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and cheese.
- 3. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Drain potatoes; add to slow cooker. Stir in ham. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- 4. Stir in broccoli. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 466 calories, 30 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 1,176 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC