You'll dig into satisfaction when this thick and creamy chowder is on the menu. Loaded with comforting flavor, it's sure to make friedns and family think you labored for hours perfecting it.—Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed and drained
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, cook onion in butter over medium heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and cheese.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Drain potatoes; add to slow cooker. Stir in ham. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in broccoli. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Creamy Ham Chowder in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2008, p23
Reviews for Creamy Ham Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review