Creamy Ham Chowder Recipe
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed and drained
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, cook onion in butter over medium heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and cheese.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Drain potatoes; add to slow cooker. Stir in ham. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in broccoli. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Ham Chowder(3)
Sort By :
The first time I made this Chowder I wasn't really sure what to expect. It exceeded any expectations I could have possibly had!!! This is pure comfort food perfect for a cold winter day! Everybody went back for seconds and placed an immediate request that I make it again soon. Delicious!!!
Amazing! Even my picky husband that does not consider anything resembling soup appropriate for dinner enjoyed it!
I had to substitute a few things for this recipe because I didn't have all the ingredients. I used about 2 cups of whipping cream and 1/2 cup milk instead of the cream it called for. I also didn't have cheddar cheese. I used mozzarella. I also omitted the nutmeg. It was a fantastic chowder! Took it took a gathering, and got numerious compliments!