Creamy Ham and Rice
"My mother made this dish while we were growing up, and it was the first recipe I requested from her collection when I moved out on my own," recalls Meg Fortino of Powder Springs, Georgia. "My husband loves it and requests the leftovers for his lunch box."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Stir
- in flour until blended; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low;
- stir in mayonnaise until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients;
- heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 661 calories, 44 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 1,601 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as