Creamy Ham and Rice Recipe
"My mother made this dish while we were growing up, and it was the first recipe I requested from her collection when I moved out on my own," recalls Meg Fortino of Powder Springs, Georgia. "My husband loves it and requests the leftovers for his lunch box."
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in mayonnaise until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Ham and Rice in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p55
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Ham and Rice(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review