Creamy Ham and Potatoes
"Serve this stick-to-your-ribs dish with a green salad and dessert for a complete meal," suggests Peggy Key of Grant, Alabama. The creamy mixture of hearty ham and tender potatoes is brimming with homemade flavor.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer potatoes, onions and ham.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and
- pepper until smooth. Combine soup and water; gradually stir into
- flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened and bubbly. Pour over ham. Cover and cook on low for 8-9
- hours or until potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with cheese
- before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 321 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,586 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein.