- 4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer potatoes, onions and ham.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Combine soup and water; gradually stir into flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Pour over ham. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with cheese before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Ham and Potatoes
"My 4 boys and husband all love this even though some are picky. I usually double it keeping with one can of soup and using only one large onion."
"I doubled the recipe, but purposely did not double the water, I only used 2 cups rather than 2-2/3 cups. However, 2 cups was still far too much water, and made a big difference in the end as far as it being too watery and lacking in flavor. -Lori in WI."
"This is my daughters favorite and so easy... Cooks all day and ready for you when you get home."