Like most country cooks, I often bake a large ham so that I can use leftovers in tasty dishes like this. Fresh asparagus is wonderful in this soup's creamy broth.
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (2-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, saute carrot in butter for 3-5 minutes; add onions and saute 2 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth, ham, mushrooms and reserved asparagus. Reduce heat; add cream. Heat through but do not boil. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup in Country Pork 1996, p36
Reviews for Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review