Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Soup Recipe
Cool, crisp winter evenings call for comforting bowls of rich, cream soup. It's a terrific first course at holiday meals.—Mandy Howison, Glenshaw, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:13 servings
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1-2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in butter in batches until tender. Return all to the pan; add garlic and onions. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- 2. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cream, thyme, basil, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with parsley. Yield: 13 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup equals 246 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 539 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC