Creamy Fruit Bowl Recipe
THIS fruit salad is always on the menu for special occasions, since it can be served as a salad or dessert. It's a traditional dish with our family, and it must be passed on to a new bride. When one of us brings it to a gathering, we take a copy of the recipe along to share. Someone always requests it! -Gretchen Baudhuin, Palm Coast, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash salt
- 4 medium navel oranges, sectioned, divided
- 3 cups seedless grapes, divided
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Fresh mint, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set pineapple aside. Pour juice into a double boiler; add the egg yolks, sugar, vinegar, butter and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads at least 160°. Cool.
- 2. Stir in the pineapple, three oranges, 2-1/2 cups grapes and marshmallows. Cover and chill for at least 12 hours.
- 3. Fold in whipped cream just before serving. Top with remaining oranges and grapes. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 201 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC