Creamy French Onion Soup Recipe
I enjoy inviting people into my home to sample flavorful foods like this creamy soup. You'll find it's a nice twist on the traditional version.
- 8 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick), toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Combine sour cream and milk. Stir into soup; heat through (do not boil). Place a slice of toasted bread on each soup bowl; ladle soup over bread. Sprinkle with cheese Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 347 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 1,311 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC