- 8 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick), toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Combine sour cream and milk. Stir into soup; heat through (do not boil). Place a slice of toasted bread on each soup bowl; ladle soup over bread. Sprinkle with cheese Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Creamy French Onion Soup
"We had creamy French onion soup at a restaurant and my son loved it, which was weird because he hates onions. So my husband found this recipe and made it tonight, we all LOVED it!! Way better than the restaurant! The only changes we made was cooking the onions in bacon fat instead of butter, and adding turmeric and garlic powder. So yummy, definitely a keeper. Thank you!"
"My husband and I love having a good soup for lunch or dinner..This soup has just been added to our favorites list!"