I enjoy inviting people into my home to sample flavorful foods like this creamy soup. You'll find it's a nice twist on the traditional version.
- 8 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick), toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Combine sour cream and milk. Stir into soup; heat through (do not boil). Place a slice of toasted bread on each soup bowl; ladle soup over bread. Sprinkle with cheese Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Onion Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p228
Reviews for Creamy French Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review