Creamy Floret Bake Recipe
My family loves to come over for Thanksgiving dinner because of the special side dishes I prepare. This one is always a winner! The creamy orange sauce complements the tender broccoli and cauliflower beautifully.
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets (4 cups)
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; add cauliflower. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. In another saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; add broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain vegetables and rinse with cold water.
- 3. Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in orange peel, salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- 4. Arrange cauliflower and broccoli in alternate rows in a 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cream sauce and cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 80 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Creamy Floret Bake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC