WE were tired of the same old vegetable soup and I had on hand some fish that needed to be cooked, so this was the creation of our favorite fish chowder. Occasionally, I enhance it still further by adding another vegetable, such as corn or peas, to add to color and nutrition.
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons mashed potato flakes
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound cod or haddock fillets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, potato flakes and milk until smooth. Stir into the potato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add fish and parsley. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until fish is opaque. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Creamy Fish Chowder in Reminisce Extra September 2006, p52
Reviews for Creamy Fish Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review