- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick), halved
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake or baby portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 slices wide-loaf white bread
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add eggplant; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan; wipe skillet clean.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and milk until blended. Spread 1 tablespoon herb cheese over each slice of bread. Layer four slices with eggplant and mushrooms; top with remaining bread.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Carefully dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak 5 seconds. Place two sandwiches in skillet; toast 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining oil and sandwiches. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Eggplant & Mushroom Monte Cristo in Taste of Home June/July 2015
Reviews for Creamy Eggplant & Mushroom Monte Cristo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 5, 2015
"Great recipe.....especially for those who love veggie sandwiches! Marinara sauce works well as a dip."