Creamy Cranberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter. cubed
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the first four ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, orange peel, orange juice, melted butter and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- 2. For cream cheese layer, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; beat on low speed just until blended. Spread over batter.
- 3. For topping, mix flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over top. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake 70-75 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing sides of springform pan. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 419 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 286 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Cranberry Coffee Cake
"This is delicious. I'm not a huge fan of how much crumb topping is on it. I would cut in half or maybe only do it on the edges. And the baking suggested until golden brown on top - my edges and bottom got a bit dark because I was waiting for the top to darken more."
"Excellent recipe. Took it to a gathering and everyone loved it and wanted the recipe."
"one egg for the main ingredient? that's not right with the amount of flour and butter."
"Excellent recipe. My family loved it. Definitely I will make it again for family gatherings soon. Thanks for sharing."
"I made this ahead of time to put in the freezer for company - so I haven't tasted it yet but it looks perfect!"
"I can't tell you how many times I've made this delicious coffee cake! Sometimes I bake it in two 8x8-inch pans and freeze one for my hubby and I to enjoy at a later date. (45-50 min. at 350 degrees)"
"This sound absolutely devine, but I have a question. I have to do a brunch the Saturday after Thanksgiving and am wondering if I can make this ahead and freeze it for the brunch? Has anyone tried freezing it?"
"I made this recipe 2 weeks ago and it turned out GREAT! As for saugurke's review on 11.29.10... the problem was not the cranberries, odds are your baking soda and baking powder wasn't fresh. This is why it did not rise. Follow the recipe amounts and it will turn out."
"My entire family thoroughly enjoyed this cake - even my Dad, who is a finicky eater! I would definitely make this again. I highly recommend it."
"I would make it again! It has a great taste.The only thing was,that the first layer of the cake did not rise.Maybe I used too many cranberries.The next time I will use less and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder."
"Would make it again but oh my goodness I shouldn't!!!! I think it lasted about 10 minutes. Excellent and because the cake is on the bottom, not so fussy as regular cheescake!! MMMMMM"
"Excellent! Texture was beautiful and tasted divine! The blend of orange and cranberry with the smoothness of the creamcheese was wonderful. Easy to make too!"
"Great recipe from TOH 2004 annual recipes page 94"