Creamy Clam Chowder Recipe
At our Pittsburgh competition, Lori Kimble's rich and satisfying chowder took top honors. She relates, "This family favorite is perhaps the easiest recipe for clam chowder that I have ever made. Served with sourdough bread, it's especially delicious."
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Stir in potato soup and two cans of undrained clams. Drain and discard juice from remaining can of clams; add clams to soup.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and a 1 cup of cream until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir in the remaining cream; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 339 calories, 27 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 568 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC