- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Stir in potato soup and two cans of undrained clams. Drain and discard juice from remaining can of clams; add clams to soup.
- Combine cornstarch and a 1 cup of cream until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir in the remaining cream; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Clam Chowder
"This is the one alright. No need to look anymore. Now I need one for Manhattan Clam Chowder."
"This is a fantastic recipe. So easy and delicious. My 10 year old daughter just asked me to make it again - she was craving it. Family loves it, and it's real hard to find something they all like."
"This was really good. I added an extra can of clams and bacon!"
"Excellent recipe! My first attempt at making clam chowder and this was perfect -- easy, had great flavor and was just the creaminess I was looking for. After reading the other reviews, the only adjustments I made to the original recipe was adding 4-5 cloves of minced garlic and about 1 1/2 cups of frozen sweet corn. I had additional cooked potatoes ready to add, but the cream of potato soup had enough chunks for my liking so I didn't add any more. I had bacon bits for a topping and sourdough bread to eat with it. I took the soup to a Super Bowl party and got many compliments on it. Will definitely make this again!"
"Best EASY Clam Chowder I've ever made, hands down! Super base recipe that I tweaked to my families preferences. I doubled the recipe and added 4-5 cloves of minced garlic, about 2 tsps. of black pepper, some frozen sweet corn and a few cups of cooked cubed potatoes. I topped off each bowl with some crispy bacon bits and served with garlic herb biscuits - even one of my kids who doesn't care for any kind of seafood, inhaled several bowls!! Perfect meal for a chilly evening that tastes like you've been slaving in the kitchen. Do try it, you won't regret it!!"