Creamy Chocolate Rice Pudding
While feeling bored one summer afternoon, I decided to create this scrumptious spin on traditional rice pudding. Now, my creative summer treat is a frequent request yearround. —Gregory Royster, North Lauderdale, Florida
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. + chilling
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-3/4 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice, sugar and salt. Bring to
- a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-45
- minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring often. Remove from the
- heat; stir in vanilla.
- Place 1 cup chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream
- just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Slowly stir
- into rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Stir in remaining chips. Spoon into dessert dishes. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve with whipped cream if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without whipped cream) equals 368 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.