The "surprise" inside these rich chocolate cupcakes from Mrs. Walter Jacobson of Ashland, Ohio is their smooth cream cheese filling.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; mix well.
- Pour into 18 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. For filling, beat cream cheese and sugar in another large bowl. Add egg and salt; mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls into center of each cupcake. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cupcake (not the filling) comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Creamy Chocolate Cupcakes in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p67
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Chocolate Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review