You can make almost any dessert more awesome with chocolate. In this cream pie, fresh banana and chocolate make a truly irresistible combo. —Diane Nemitz, Ludington, Michigan
Recommended: 20 Super Cool Icebox Desserts
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Shaved unsweetened chocolate, optional
- On a floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, mix 2/3 cup sugar, flour and gelatin. Whisk in half-and-half and egg yolks; cook, whisking constantly, until temperature reaches 160° and mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Remove from heat; whisk in sour cream and extracts. Transfer 3/4 cup mixture to a small bowl; stir in melted chocolate until blended. Refrigerate vanilla and chocolate mixtures until set but not firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spread chocolate mixture evenly over crust. Fold bananas into vanilla mixture; spread over chocolate layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top; if desired, sprinkle with shaved chocolate. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Banana Cream Pie in Taste of Home June/July 2016, p66
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Chocolate-Banana Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review