- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup minced chives
- Sesame or poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, 6 tablespoons butter, potato flakes and water to 120°-130°. Add to the dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg, cream and salt; cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in the chives. Cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread half of the filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring.
- With scissors, cut from the outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward the center of the ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Melt the remaining butter; brush over ring. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 rings.
Reviews for Creamy Chive Rings
"This is wonderful,easy dough to work with. It is almost like velvet to the mouth. And it freezes very very well. Everyone loved it. Its a keeper."
"i made these a couple of years ago and then lost the recipe after i moved and i almost went crazy! this is such a splendid recipe and it freezes so well! melt in your mouth good!"