Creamy Chicken Stew Recipe
My family spends hours outdoors...no matter what time of year. When we come in, we like nothing more than sitting down to warm biscuits topped with this steaming stew.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes,1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup each coarsely chopped green and sweet red pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Warm biscuits
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook and stir the chicken, salt, pepper and paprika in oil until the chicken juices run clear, stirring occasionally; drain. Add the vegetables, basil, bay leaf, celery salt and 5 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- 2. Remove bay leaf. In a large saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually whisk in remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Pour into the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with biscuits. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC