- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrot, celery and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken Rice Soup
"I thought this was extremely good and I just tripled everything for my family. Didn't use the basil, and used more garlic. We all loved the soup..Will make again on cold days like today.."
"We love it. This is always my "go to" soup."
"Loved the recipe just as is. Only changes I made was using whipping cream instead of evaporated milk (had some left-over in the fridge) and added a 1/3 cup of grated cheddar (again, left-overs in the fridge) at the end when the chicken went in."
"This is the soup I turn to when I want creamy chicken soup in the winter. I also use cornstarch instead of flour for GF hubby. When I have leftover cooked or rotisserie chicken I fix homemade soup. I love the different basil flavor - different than regular chicken soup. Served with homemade biscuits (GF) and sauteed apples."
"This is really quick and easy. I spiced it up a bit more."
"Doubled recipe.Omitted basil.Omitted pepper. Used cornstarch instead of flour accordingly,used heavy cream instead of evaporated milk.Then added 6 oz pepper jack cheese for a subtle kick.This is a fabulous basic soup recipe!e"
"I added 1/4 tsp of each (thyme, oregano and changed regular pepper to lemon pepper w/dill) . It was delicious and next time I make it I will have to double the recipe and freeze some of it for a cold winter day or when one of us is sick as it makes a good feel good soup."
"I am NOT a cook. But this is so dang ez and so dang yummy. I can't believe I made it twice and am still so proud of myself! Yum yum!!"
"This is my go-to soup when I'm sick. Super easy to make and enough flavor that I can enjoy it even with a cold."