Creamy Chicken Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound potatoes, (about 2 medium), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the chicken, salt and pepper.
- 2. Combine flour and fat-free milk until smooth; stir into saucepan. Add evaporated milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkle with parsley and chives. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cup: 232 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken Potato Soup
"This is very good. I was looking for a recipe to use up one cup of evaporated milk I had left over, and this is a winner. Simple but tasty. I added one chopped carrot with the onion, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I will be making this again."
"Love this soup ! I had leftover bacon so I tossed it in also ! Yum ! My 9 year old loved it !"
"Delicious as-is, I might add some carrots next time for color."
"Overall, this is a recipe I would definitely make again. It has a good flavor but I think I will add a bit more veggies and spice to it next time. I like the creamy taste though, vs a broth base."
"Absolutely amazing soup! I used 2 cups half and half instead of milk and evaporated milk. It is to die for. I have added this to my frequent rotation."
"I used this recipe as a base. Yummy as is, but I like to spruce it up a bit!"
"I don't understand how people call themselves rating recipes,when they are changing how its made. I followed all the steps from this recipe and it was great as is. My husband always ask me to make this recipe when he's in the mood for soup."
"I added carrots and celery in with the butter and onion and did more potatoes. I used leftover chicken from a whole chicken I baked earlier, and used the broth I made from that as well. I added a can of cream of chicken soup and more salt, and it turned out great! I'm going to serve it with grated cheese."
"my husband is a meat and potato man. He raved over this soup. I did not use the evaporeated milk I use 2 cups of 2%milk. Creamy and easy to make. The whole family enjoyed it."
"I have made this soup quite a few times and we enjoy it. I also add 1 cup of canned or frozen corn and a pinch of poultry seasoning"
"Loved this soup. Easy to make, few ingredients, and only 5 pts. per serving for Weight Watchers. Thanks!"
"This is excellent, delicious recipe, just subsutited half an half instead. Have made this three times in a week. It won everyone over with the first spoonful. Thanks"