- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Place in a bowl; add the mayonnaise, soup, peas, lemon juice and salt. Stir in chicken and rice.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with potato chips. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken Hot Dish
Sort By :
This was delicious! I loved it! Hubby (aka Mr. Picky) wasn't thrilled with it. He said he could taste the sour cream in it. I told him there wasn't any sour cream in it.....it was probably the tang of the lemon juice so I will omit that the next time I make it. I agree with jlhnell about the fat content. The only way I can see to reduce it a little is to use the fat-reduced soup. Also, I probably won't bother with the potato chips next time which will reduce the fat and sodium a little. I also omitted the teaspoon of salt. We have to reduce the bad things where we can, right? By the way, why can't light mayo be used? Does it curdle? Separate?
Not sure if maybe we just aren't that into casseroles or what, but this just didn't have the flavor I expected.. I will admit though that I used Miracle Whip instead of Mayo... so that COULD have been the problem. Not planning on trying this one again though.
Have made this several times for family, we love it. I just don't love the fat content, wish it could be made healthier. I usually use whole grain rice and double all the veggies. I also made with gluten-free cream of mushroom soup for a celiac-disease family member, and they enjoyed it!
Very good, but I would bake it longer to make it warmer. I also tried it with broccoli instead of peas. Delicious!