Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons butter. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in remaining butter until tender.
- 2. Whisk in flour until blended; gradually stir in the milk, cream, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Add the gnocchi and spinach; cook for 3-4 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Add the chicken. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 482 calories, 28 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 527 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
"My husband and I really liked this. Because there are just two of us I will be cutting the recipe in half next time."
"My family really enjoyed this and asked to add it to 'favorites'. I used homemade gnocchi."
"What a wonderful soup. It's just like the chicken gnocchi soup at the Olive Garden. I used all milk instead of the heavy cream, and 1% milk, since that is what I have in the house. I couldn't tell that it was missing the cream. I also used an extra carrot and more spinach. Easy to make and will keep making it for a long time."
"I want to make this, butt what is potato gnocchi and where do I find it?"
"This was so easy and very delicious--I added another cup of milk to make more broth and it was still delivious. Definitely a keeper"
"I made this soup today & it is delicious! I will definitely be sharing the recipe with family & friends!"
"It's perfect for this season, my husband love this kind of soup!"
"WONDERFUL SOUP. MADE ITAND ENJOYED IT MANY TIMES..."
"We made this tonight and loved it! We added a lot of extra vegetables and chicken so it was probably quite a bit thicker than intended, but talk about a hearty winter soup! Yum!!! We're even planning to make this for Mom and Dad!"
"I have used another recipe but this one was so easy...who wouldn't;t want to try it. A really good , cold end-of-the-day-soup. Love the addition of spinach.I also have used cut up and sauteed leeks (white part) for an additional zest...yummy!11"
"Now this is a good "MADE FROM SCRATCH HOMEMADE SOUP". Nothing out of a can. I was criticized when I knocked using canned soups in another recipe. You could also use up some of that leftover ham instead of chicken in this, would be fab."
"This was the easiest and best ever soup and every one loved it and I did not change a thing"
"Excellent Soup. My daughter and sister request it whenever family gets together."
"With all the onion and garlic, don't know how this could have been "bland", but my whole family thought it was. It was okay, but we won't bother making it again."
"We were inspired to try this from our visit to The Olive Garden, where we had this soup."