When my mom asked me to prepare a speedy supper to feed our family, I used leftover chicken to create this casserole. Cheese and sour cream make the chicken and rice so creamy and tasty. I recently got married, and my husband, Doug, loves it, too. -Jennifer Biggs Cassel, Mediapolis, Iowa
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 32)
- Spread rice into a greased shallow 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over rice.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Chicken and Rice in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p27
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review