Creamy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 32)
- Spread rice into a greased shallow 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over rice.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken and Rice
Sort By :
"Loved it, will make again."
"This is one of our favorite recipes so far! I did alter it a bit by adding a chopped red pepper, half a red onion and some chopped carrots and cauliflower. Trust me, no one will be able to spot the hidden veggies and the kids will love it. Excellent dinner."
"43 grams of fat and 1,164 mg sodium? Are you kidding me?"
"Very good! I made a half recipe for my family of 4 (two small kids) and we even have leftovers. My girls loved it saying I should make it every meal! The only change I made was not adding the butter/cracker topping as another reviewer suggested to not add extra fat/calories and it was great without it! I'm sure the topping would be an added plus every once in a while. I think the chicken/cheese mixture would be great in a pot pie too. Will be making this a lot!"
"I've made this several times and it is always a hit. I sometimes substitute kluski noodles for the rice and I usually use bread crumbs instead of crackers. Everyone loves it!"