Creamy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 32)
- 1. Spread rice into a greased shallow 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over rice.
- 3. Melt the remaining butter; toss the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 723 calories, 43 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 169 mg cholesterol, 1,164 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.