- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and carrot in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3-7 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain rice if necessary; fluff with a fork. Stir chicken and rice into potato mixture; heat through. In a small bowl, combine flour and half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Chicken 'n' Wild Rice Soup
"Why are there potatoes in this soup ? I've hd this soup at lots of restaurants and its never had potatoes in it"
"I adapted the recipe and used med grain rice and salmon from the can. onion, celery, carrot. Kids loved it. Great way to get salmon into them."
"This is really hearty and creamy and delicious! It was a bit bland, so I stirred in 1 Tbsp. of chicken bouillon granules and a sprinkle of Nature's Seasons seasoning blend, and it was perfect! It just needed a little bit stronger of a chicken flavor to the creamy soup part. That was just right. I would definitely make this again! It's hearty enough to eat for dinner."
"This was AWESOME!!! I increased the amount of Chicken Broth by 1 C and added 1tsp of Garlic Powder and 1/4 tsp Ground Red Pepper. My husband could not stop raving about this soup. I will make it again and again."
"Perfect base recipe for the soup I was craving! A little time consuming, yes, but worth it. Added the juice of two lemons and a couple teaspoons of garlic powder. Doubled the rice and the broccoli. Great soup."