Creamy Chicken 'n' Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and carrot in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3-7 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Drain rice if necessary; fluff with a fork. Stir chicken and rice into potato mixture; heat through. In a small bowl, combine flour and half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 251 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.