Creamy Chicken 'n' Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and carrot in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3-7 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Drain rice if necessary; fluff with a fork. Stir chicken and rice into potato mixture; heat through. In a small bowl, combine flour and half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cup: 251 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken 'n' Wild Rice Soup
"I actually hate to rate a recipe based on my own additions, as a few have done here. Bc the ratings aren't accurate. The only things I did different were, no potatoes (bc the soup is hearty enough), added 1/3 more broccoli, carrots and onions. 3 cups of leftover rotisserie chicken. The soup, I agree with others lacked in seasoning. Added a cup of chicken stock. In addition to 2tsp of poultry seasoning. It was amazing!!!! The creamy chk wild rice soup I usually make is made with a roux and tasted so floury. This was perfect. Love it and will be a staple here!"
"I adapted the recipe and used med grain rice and salmon from the can. onion, celery, carrot. Kids loved it. Great way to get salmon into them."
"This is really hearty and creamy and delicious! It was a bit bland, so I stirred in 1 Tbsp. of chicken bouillon granules and a sprinkle of Nature's Seasons seasoning blend, and it was perfect! It just needed a little bit stronger of a chicken flavor to the creamy soup part. That was just right. I would definitely make this again! It's hearty enough to eat for dinner."
"This was a very good recipe. I found it a little time consuming for a soup, but the results were worth it. Give it a try!"
"this was my first foray into a creamed soup and all i can say is WOW!!! it is my new favorite soup, i had got some frozen bread loafs and it said how to make a bread bowl, so i wanted a cream soup, i switched it up a little, no carrots, added broccoli and cauliflower....and doubled it..so glad i did as now i will have leftovers"
"Great soup! I added some cayenne pepper and potato flour ( instead of flour). So yummy!"
"I took a short cut by sauteing the cubed chicken first in some butter, then adding onions and carrots until tender. Afterwards, I added the broth with potatoes/broccoli/rice and brought everything to a boil. Finally instead of half-and-half, I used heavy cream--didn't feel like skimping on the soup--and a few tablespoons of cornstarch instead of flour. It was delish!!"
"LOVED this soup!!!! Tons of veggies in it! I ate the leftovers for lunch for 4 days and didn't tire of it!"
"made just as written,wonderful,favorful and very YUMMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!will make again"
"We will be making this soup again. I put the rice in the broth and cooked it for 10 min before i put in the potatos. I left out the onions and with all the starch from the potatos and rice i didnt need to add the flour to the half and half. i did add a little garlic salt, some red chilli pepper flakes and a bay leaf. The whole family and unexpected company loved it:)"
"I made this recipe and loved it, even my daughter liked it and she's picky....."
"I love this soup and have made it many times, I add extra broccoli to it but it's great the way it is, also."
"Every time I fix this, there are never any leftovers! Even people who don't care much for cooked veggies eat this with enthusiasm! Everyone loves it!"