- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in batches in 2 tablespoons butter. Transfer to two ungreased 8-in. square baking dishes. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, saute mushrooms, onion and garlic powder in remaining butter until tender. Add the soup, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain chicken; top with soup mixture. Serve one casserole immediately with rice or noodles. Cover and freeze the remaining casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Serve with rice or noodles. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Chicken 'n' Mushrooms
"We truly love chicken, and this shines through time after time. I use potatoes over noodles."
"This was good, and made a lot. I think it needs longer to cook, and could benefit from more seasoning. Next time I'll add salt and a few herbs."
"My husband loves this so I double it and freeze 3. I use either chicken thighs or pork chops."