Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Stew Recipe
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1. Place chicken in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine the salad dressing, wine, 4 tablespoons butter, onion, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; pour over chicken.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Skim fat. Combine the soup, cream cheese and 2 cups of liquid from slow cooker in a small bowl until blended; add to slow cooker.
- 3. Cover and cook 45 minutes longer or until chicken is tender, adding the broccoli during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- 4. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pan. Mash potatoes with the remaining butter, salt and pepper. Serve with chicken and broccoli mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 572 calories, 36 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 142 mg cholesterol, 1,126 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.