Creamy Cheesy Grits Recipe
Rich and creamy these grits make a great side dish for a Southern-style meal. I make these at my annual Kentucky Derby party.—Kristin Arnett, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until grits become thick, stirring frequently.
- 2. Stir in the cheeses, white pepper, cayenne and nutmeg if desired. Serve hot. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 180 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 588 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC