My mother made these cupcakes from scratch when I was growing up, but I simplified the recipe with a cake mix. Sometimes Mom would replace the smooth filling with homemade whipped cream. They are really good with either filling. —Caroline Anderson, Waupaca, Wisconsin
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate frosting
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for cupcakes, using paper-lined muffin cups. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in marshmallow creme and vanilla.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with cream filling. Push the tip through the bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake. Frost with chocolate frosting. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Creamy Center Cupcakes in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p40
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Center Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review