Creamy Center Cupcakes
"This recipe came from my mother, who made the cake from scratch when I was growing up," writes Caroline Anderson of Waupaca, Wisconsin. "Sometimes she'd replace the smooth filling with homemade whipped cream, which was readily available on the farm."
24 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate frosting
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for cupcakes,
- using paper-lined muffin cups. Cool for 10 minutes before removing
- from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in marshmallow creme and vanilla.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a
- very small tip. Fill with cream filling. Push the tip through the
- bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake. Frost with chocolate
- frosting. Yield: 2 dozen.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.