Creamy Cavatappi & Cheese Recipe
- 6 cups uncooked cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and coarsley crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Cook cavatappi according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic in butter in a Dutch oven. Stir in flour and pepper sauce until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheeses until melted; add green onions. Drain cavatappi; stir into cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs, bacon and melted butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with green onion and, if desired, pepper. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Cavatappi & Cheese
Sort By :
"Yes this is definitely a grown-up mac & cheese - my 13 y/o son not so keen about it and asking what's that spicy taste, I'll make one again for the adults and for kids without the hot sauce :)"
"amazing!! fairly easy to make too"
"My family's absolute favorite! It is also yummy when warmed up:)"
"I made this last night. Definitely not a cheap recipe, but very good. I did add 3/4 lb of cubed Boars Head Black Forest Ham because I wanted it to be my main dish and an extra slice of Bacon because who doesn't love Bacon. It does make a lot, but we like the convenience of leftovers. I have 3 elderly parents I send food to. My mom loved it! My mother-in-law will have it tonight. Served with Sugar Snapped Peas. Yes, I'll make this again."