Creamy Cavatappi & Cheese Recipe
- 6 cups uncooked cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and coarsley crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Cook cavatappi according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic in butter in a Dutch oven. Stir in flour and pepper sauce until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheeses until melted; add green onions. Drain cavatappi; stir into cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs, bacon and melted butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with green onion and, if desired, pepper. Yield: 10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Cavatappi & Cheese(5)
Sort By :
Everyone loved this version of mac & cheese. I thought when making the dish that I was going to have way too much cheese sauce but it was exactly right for 6 cups of pasta. Next time, however, I will make a 1/2 recipe at a time.
This is a definite do-over. Made a pan for a family where the young mother of 4 is going through chemo (and a test portion for myself). They went wild over it. Fabulous restaurant quality recipe. The garlic and green onion really set it apart from other mac & cheese recipes. Loved it.
Each member of my family came up to me separately and said, "Mom, this is a keeper!"
i would like to make it but where are the cal,
Really tasty and creamy. I cut the recipe in half and it still fed 6. What is with the crazy portion sizes? Left out onions because we don't care for them. Where are the nutrition facts?