Creamy Cavatappi & Cheese Recipe
- 6 cups uncooked cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and coarsley crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Cook cavatappi according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic in butter in a Dutch oven. Stir in flour and pepper sauce until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheeses until melted; add green onions. Drain cavatappi; stir into cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs, bacon and melted butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with green onion and, if desired, pepper. Yield: 10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Cavatappi & Cheese(6)
Sort By :
Looks like will be making this sometime. Will try with bow ties, see how well that goes over.
Everyone loved this version of mac & cheese. I thought when making the dish that I was going to have way too much cheese sauce but it was exactly right for 6 cups of pasta. Next time, however, I will make a 1/2 recipe at a time.
This is a definite do-over. Made a pan for a family where the young mother of 4 is going through chemo (and a test portion for myself). They went wild over it. Fabulous restaurant quality recipe. The garlic and green onion really set it apart from other mac & cheese recipes. Loved it.
Each member of my family came up to me separately and said, "Mom, this is a keeper!"
i would like to make it but where are the cal,