Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 large head cauliflower (2 pounds), broken into florets
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the broth, celery, onion and carrot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, process vegetable mixture in batches until smooth; return to pan. Stir in the cream, parsley, salt, dill, pepper and white sauce; heat through. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 195 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 874 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Cauliflower Soup
"I used 1% milk and fat free half and half and it was very yummy."
"I was pleasantly surprised with how rich and delicious this soup was. A handful of oyster crackers and I had a yummy dinner. I was hesitant because of the whole stick of butter but it made a large pot of soup so per serving I think it is reasonable as a meal. I will make this again, cheers!"
"My husband made this tonight for dinner. It was delicious! It was his first time for making white sauce and we did not have any dill weed either. And it was still delicious! It was so much fun to see him attempt this, he did not want me to help:), and flavorful hot soup for dinner also."
"I wouldn't make this to start with, since it has 12 grams of fat. Doesn't quite make the "low fat" list for me."
"The kids enjoyed this & requested it even after it was finished off."