Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Creamy soups can be soul-warming and so very satisfying, and Doris Davis's Cauliflower Soup is no exception. The Hellertown, Pennsylvania reader writes, “I received this recipe from a friend, and over the years I have served it many times and for many occasions.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:11 servings
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 large head cauliflower (2 pounds), broken into florets
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the broth, celery, onion and carrot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, process vegetable mixture in batches until smooth; return to pan. Stir in the cream, parsley, salt, dill, pepper and white sauce; heat through. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 195 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 874 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC