Creamy Carrot Soup
When I serve this creamy soup, people are amazed by the bright carrot color and are hooked by the deliciously different flavor. A hint of rosemary adds a nice spark to a slightly sweet soup.
-Grace Yaskovic, Branchville, New Jersey
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Cook: 40 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the carrots,
- potato, broth and ginger. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool for 15 minutes.
- In a blender, cover and puree in batches. Return all to the pan; stir
- in the cream, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until
- heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 267 calories, 22 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 367 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.