Creamy Carrot Parsnip Soup Recipe
- 8 cups chopped carrots
- 6 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled grated horseradish
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Fresh dill sprigs, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the carrots, parsnips, broth, water, sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute onion, garlic, horseradish and ginger in butter until tender. Add to the carrot mixture.
- 3. Transfer soup to a blender in batches; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in buttermilk; heat through (do not boil).
- 4. Garnish servings with sour cream and dill if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 148 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Carrot Parsnip Soup
"The only things I changed about this recipe was the exchange of water to more chicken broth and buttermilk to half-and-half. I found the soup okay, I think it was the of the horseradish, both fiance and I found it too strong. Next time I make this, I want to leave the horseradish out and add about two cups of cheddar cheese. I'm also going to make sure I do a better job blending this soup."